Code of Conduct and Ethics
General Business Principles
At Engen, we strive to be a winning company and having defined our goals and objectives,
we will pursue their attainment with a single-minded focus.
We will always operate within the laws of the land, in accordance with good business
ethics and in a safe and environmentally responsible way.
We will have win-win relationships with all our stakeholders. The goal of adding
value in a balanced manner will be the driving force in the pursuit of all business
- We will create economic value and deliver returns to our shareholders at least commensurate
with investments of similar risk;
- In order to deliver the required returns, we will meet the agreed needs of our customers.
We will maximise value to the company while giving value to all our customers;
- We will create growth opportunities and options by having win-win relationships
with all our business partners - suppliers, dealers, agents, joint business venture
associates and the governments of the countries in which we operate;
- We will obtain a sustainable competitive advantage by having committed and competent
employees. We value and will build on the diversity and capabilities of all employees;
- We will demonstrate our commitment to being a responsible and caring corporate citizen
by forming socio-economic partnerships with communities impacted by our operations.
Our measures of success are the extent to which we meet these commitments, the long-term
value we create for our shareholders, the pride of our employees in their accomplishments,
the satisfaction of our customers and all those with whom we do business, and the
extent to which communities, both local and international, judge our activities
We will pursue our business with honesty, integrity, and fairness.
Corporate funds and assets will only be used for lawful or proper purposes and all
business transactions will be reflected accurately and fairly.
We recognize that transparency and open communication are essential. To this end,
we will provide all relevant information as may be required by our stakeholders
about our activities, subject only to overriding considerations of business confidentiality.
- Click here to
read more about Engen's Values.
Commitment to Community
As part of our commitment to being a good corporate citizen, it is our policy to
conduct business in a manner that is compatible with the economic, social, and environmental
needs of the communities in which we operate. To this end, we will:
- Endeavour to ensure that our presence enhances people's lives in meaningful ways;
- Take our environmental responsibilities seriously and abide by applicable environmental
- Communicate openly and honestly and encourage meaningful dialogue with concerned
stakeholders in the community.
Health Safety and Environmental Protection
In conducting our activities, we will take every reasonable and practicable step
to prevent and eliminate the risk of injuries, health hazards, and damage to property,
and will take proactive measures toward the conservation and preservation of the
environment in a reasonable and cost-effective manner.
To achieve these objectives, we will:
- Ensure that our facilities, products and services are in accordance with applicable
legal requirements and industry standards;
- Provide the necessary resources, organisation and training, and communicate with
employees, contractors, customers, suppliers and the public regarding appropriate
matters on health, safety and the environment;
- Ensure that contingency plans are in place and maintained to deal with emergencies
and periodically review health, safety and environmental management systems and
practices to ensure their continual improvement; and
- Work with key stakeholders on sustainable development issues to find ways of meeting
the needs of the present without compromising the requirements of future generations.
We confirm our commitment to achieving and maintaining quality and reliability for
all Engen products and services, through the effective implementation, maintenance
and continuous improvement of Business processes, including, where applicable, Quality
Management systems conforming to International Standards Organisation (ISO) 9001
and other International Standards. This will ensure that we continue to strive for
Operational Excellence and consistently meet the requirements of our customers in
a competitive and cost effective way.
Our employment policies and practices are designed to embrace employee rights that
compare favourably to the best in South Africa. These include freedom of association,
the right to organise and bargain collectively, a prohibition on forced labour,
illicit child labour and any form of discrimination in employment. We recognise
and support employment equity and have policies in place to achieve this. We consider
our employees to be intellectual assets and we have various programmes to nurture,
retain and grow our employees.
Conflicts of Interest
Our policy requires that directors, officers and employees avoid any conflict between
their own interests and the interests of Engen in dealing with suppliers, customers
and other third parties. All Engen employees are required to adhere to the Engen
group statement of policies relating to conflict of interest and these policies
are rigorously applied.
Compliance with Local Law
All employees, contractors and agents of the company comply with applicable laws
wherever we operate.
We believe businesses have a key role to play in the promotion and protection of
internationally recognised human rights standards within their respective spheres
To this end, we will:
- Not allow our operations to contribute to, and our infrastructure to be used for,
violations of such human rights;
- Encourage all entities with whom we do business to observe laws governing such human
- Ensure adequate human rights training for our personnel; and
- Refrain from knowingly employing anyone who has participated in violations of any
Reporting fraud and suspicious activities
If you want to report fraud, theft, misconduct or other associated
irregularities where a real suspicion of these activities exists, please
IF IN SOUTH AFRICA:
- If you are within South Africa, you can call the Engen Ethics Line on
0800 11 53 54 and report what you have seen or heard.
- You can report anonymously (without disclosing who you are) and
IF OUTSIDE OF SOUTH AFRICA: